As a dog owner, you have numerous options available to you when it comes to dog training.
For example, if you’ve recently acquired a puppy, then a specialized puppy training program – where your new pup can grasp its basic commands, and learn how to interact with the world – may be most appropriate. By contrast, if your dog consistently displays behaviors that bring frustration and exasperation, a behavior modification program may be the best choice.
Another option available to you is training in a group class environment. In group class dog training, your dog will learn alongside other pups and their owners. These classes run for a set number of weeks, following a curriculum defined by a professional dog trainer. At Synapse Canine, our Basic Obedience group class runs for six weeks.
We are truly passionate about our group class programs! Basic Obedience classes are a great way for your dog to learn those all-important obedience cues; however, we have also seen the additional benefits of allowing your dog to interact with other dogs and people in a group class setting.
What will your dog learn in our Basic Obedience group class?
In our Basic Obedience group class, your dog will learn the following commands over the course of six weeks:
- Loose leash walking
- Leave it
Our Basic Obedience group class also addresses common behavioral concerns; introduces the concept of clicker training; and even covers basic trick training.
The final session of our Basic Obedience group class takes place in a local, public setting, where you and your dog will be able to put your newly-acquired knowledge into practice. This socialization outing will take place around the everyday distractions that you and your dog will encounter after completing the Basic Obedience program.
Our Basic Obedience program is often a great starting point if you are planning to complete a more advanced program. At Synapse Canine, we periodically offer Advanced Obedience programs, AKC Canine Good Citizen training and certification, and Therapy Dog Training. Our Basic Obedience program (or an equivalent) is a prerequisite for joining these advanced programs.
What are the benefits of Basic Obedience group classes?
Our Basic Obedience group classes offer benefits that extend past simply learning those important obedience cues.
- Build foundational behaviors. Through expert tuition, you will understand how dogs interact with one another, and pick up on subtle body language cues that you might otherwise miss. Over time, you will recognize these signs in both your own dog and others, which makes taking your dog out in public a far more predictable and relaxing experience.
- Controlled socialization. Our Basic Obedience program enables you to socialize your dog in a controlled environment under the supervision of a professional dog trainer. This results in overwhelmingly positive experiences for your dog – something which isn’t always guaranteed at the dog park.
- Great introduction to formal dog training. If you or your pup have never experienced professional dog training previously, our Basic Obedience program is a great way to start! Your dog will learn a lot of valuable information, and you can use this as a springboard for additional training in the future.
- Affordability. While Private Lesson programs do offer specialized, one-on-one training, they are more expensive than group sessions. Our Basic Obedience program provides you with added-value knowledge, above and beyond your obedience cues. Attending our group classes will offer you snippets of insightful dog training information that you can apply in your daily life.
- Make new friends. Each of our group classes are a great way to meet like-minded dog owners who have similar goals as you do! Who knows – you may even find yourself scheduling doggy playdates with other members of your class in between group class sessions…
- They’re fun (for you and your dog!). We want to make sure your dog learns and retains the information from our Basic Obedience class – but we also want it to be fun for them! Just as importantly, we want you to enjoy our class, too. We believe in fostering a relaxed, friendly and inclusive environment at our Basic Obedience classes, which creates the perfect environment for you and your dog to enjoy yourselves and learn.
Your dog may be a good fit for our Basic Obedience training class if…
- They have previously had no formal dog training, and you are keen to build a foundational basis of good behavior.
- You want to socialize your dog in a controlled environment with professional supervision.
- They have no serious behavioral concerns.
- Your budget doesn’t extend to personalized, one-on-one sessions.
- You plan to enroll them in a more advanced program (such as our Advanced Obedience program, Rally Obedience classes, or work towards the AKC Canine Good Citizen or Therapy Dog certification).
Your dog may not be a good fit for our Basic Obedience training class if..
- They are extremely fearful, anxious, reactive or aggressive around other dogs. In these instances, we must recommend an individualized program which would be more appropriate and effective for your dog.